The ExxonMobil Community Summer Jobs Program is one of ExxonMobil’s signature community programs and helps nonprofit organizations across America employ college students for eight weeks each summer. The students receive a paid internship introducing them to a wide variety of community service organizations and giving them hands on experience related to their field of study. Selected nonprofit agencies receive much needed support from students viewed as future community leaders. Since the program began in 1971 in New York City, the ExxonMobil Foundation has provided more than $19.4 million to support close to 8,000 community summer job internships in 12 states.
Non-profit organizations selected for the program span a wide range of missions, including health, social services, education, arts and emergency assistance. While working with these organizations, interns gain hands on experience related to their career paths, from social work and volunteer coordination to website management and marketing.
Globally, ExxonMobil provides funding to improve basic education, promote women as catalysts for economic development, and combat malaria and other infectious diseases in developing countries. In 2011, together with its employees and retirees, Exxon Mobil Corporation (NYSE:XOM), its divisions and affiliates, and the ExxonMobil Foundation provided $278 million in contributions worldwide, of which $120 million was dedicated to education. Additional information on ExxonMobil’s community partnerships and contributions programs is available at www.exxonmobil.com/community.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Since 1998, ExxonMobil has provided over $2.6 million in grants to Houston area nonprofit agencies through the Community Summer Jobs Program. The program provides full-time college students with an eight-week paid summer internship to assist nonprofit organizations and gain experience at agencies with diverse mission areas.
AGENCY APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
In order to be considered for the 2017 program, agencies must:
- Be a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization or deemed a governmental agency
- Be located in Harris or Montgomery County
- Submit a completed application and required attachments to Volunteer Houston by
Friday, December 16, 2016, at 4:00pm
2017 SUMMER PROGRAM
Agency applications will be scored on a grade scale (included in the application packet). The top applications will be invited to participate in the 2017 program. Selected agencies will be notified by Friday, February 3, 2017.
If accepted to participate in the program, agencies will be required to:
- Register with Volunteer Houston
- Attend the 2017 ExxonMobil CSJP Agency Orientation on Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 2 – 4:00pm, time and place to be determined.
- Hire intern and submit necessary paperwork by Friday, April 21, 2017
- Submit an acknowledgement to Volunteer Houston that you have received the grant check
- Pay the full stipend ($2,750) for the internship period. Each intern’s salary is to be treated as income to the intern, subject to FICA and income tax withholdings.
- Attend ExxonMobil Community Summer Jobs Program Kick-Off in June 2017, date, time and place to determined.
- Allow intern to attend all scheduled summer programs and events.