The SERVE HOUSTON AmeriCorps program places teams of diverse, service-minded individuals at nonprofit organizations across Houston to build healthier futures. Our members provide outreach, training and hands-on activities on nutrition, wellness practices, and social and physical fitness to a variety of communities, such as children, babies, seniors, veterans and individuals with autism. SERVE HOUSTON allows its AmeriCorps members the opportunity to learn, lead and make an IMpact through service and, most importantly, to Get Things Done.
SERVE HOUSTON is the new AmeriCorps Program powered by Volunteer Houston. We are a proud grantee of AmeriCorps. We receive funding from them through the OneStar Foundation in Texas to operate SERVE HOUSTON, a program of Interfaith Ministries for Greater Houston (IM).
Become an AmeriCorps Member
Join Class 2 of the SERVE HOUSTON AmeriCorps program this summer!
May 8 – August 10, 2023
APPLY NOW or SIGN UP FOR 20-min INFO SESSION
IMPORTANT RECRUITING DATES
- November 2022 | Early application opens*
- January 15, 2022 | Interviews begin
- 20-min Info Session | Tues. March 28th @ 3 pm
- 20-min Info Session | Wed. March 29th @ 4 pm
- April 3, 2023 | Application closes
- April 17, 2023 | In-Person Project Site Matching Fair (no alternate dates available)
- May 8, 2023 | Program begins
*Applications will be reviewed as they are received and offers will be extended on a rolling basis. Program capacity is limited to 25 members.
APPLICANT SELECTION PROCESS
- Apply online and submit a cover letter and resume.
- Attend a 15-minute 1-on-1 Zoom screening interview.
- Attend a 1-hour Zoom group interview.
- Receive, sign and return a conditional offer letter.
- Begin enrollment and submit proof of eligibility requirements.
- Attend in-person Project Site Matching Fair.
- Complete and pass background checks and drug screening
- Receive Member Service Agreement (MSA) and begin service.
Hear from the 2021 SERVE HOUSTON Cohort #0 pilot program participants.
- Living allowance totaling $4,500 over the program term, distributed in bi-weekly increments.
- Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $1,718.25 upon successful completion of the service term.
- Access to prestigious AmeriCorps, Interfaith Ministries and Volunteer Houston networks.
- Service learning opportunity, with initial and ongoing training throughout the program.
- Project management and nonprofit operations experience.
- Opportunity to participate in a mentorship program tailored to your career goals.
- Leadership, team building, civic engagement and other development opportunities.
- Resume building and other Life After AmeriCorps training opportunities.
- Provide proof of complete vaccination against COVID-19.
- Be at a minimum of 18 years of age by May 8, 2023.
- Provide proof of status as a U.S. citizen or national or of lawful permanent resident alien status in the United States.
- Pass background checks and provide documentation required to verify background.
- Complete and pass an at-random drug screening. This will be administered on any date before May 8, 2023, and will be required to be submitted within 24 hours.
- Serve a minimum of 32 hours per week between May 8 and August 10, 2023.
- Have no competing commitments (i.e. not taking full-time classes during summer).
- Provide proof of a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Be able to serve in person at your assigned project site, with the flexibility to serve your community wherever and however you are called to do so.
Bilingual / Spanish is a plus!
Members are placed in small teams across 5-10 project sites hosted by local organizations where they will complete their AmeriCorps service term.
2022-2023 Project Sites
These project sites are hosting SERVE HOUSTON AmeriCorps members for the 2022-2023 program year.
Become a Project Site
- A team of up to five SERVE HOUSTON AmeriCorps members recruited, vetted, onboarded and initially trained by SERVE HOUSTON ready to accomplish project goals defined by your organization
- Continued support, oversight and training for your AmeriCorps members by SERVE HOUSTON program staff
- Training facilitated by SERVE HOUSTON for your organization’s Site Supervisor
- A simple system to record service hours and track members’ progress toward accomplishing your project goals
- Overall administration and facilitation of the AmeriCorps program and its compliance requirements, including administering a monthly living allowance to members and distributing a Segal Education award upon completion of the program
- An ongoing partnership with Interfaith Ministries, Volunteer Houston and SERVE HOUSTON programs
- An association with AmeriCorps, a prestigious national service program
- Enhanced visibility in the Houston community
- Meaningful direct service team projects with clear and measurable goals, expectations and deliverables that adhere to AmeriCorps Program guidelines
- A dedicated staff person to serve as Site Supervisor for your AmeriCorps team (train members, approve hours, oversee project work and adhere to AmeriCorps guidelines). Read the position description here.
- A specified weekly schedule for your team of members that enables members to successfully complete the program on time (i.e. accrue 450 hours within the program terms).
- Assistance for SERVE HOUSTON staff in the member recruiting process, as needed
- A workspace and/or technology if needed for each member to complete project work along with a COVID plan for members to be able to serve in the case of a COVID-related change of circumstances
- On-the-job skills training for members specific to their service
- A placement fee of $10,000 for a team during the 2022-2023 program year.
- A willingness to allow members to participate in disaster response work if our community suffers a disaster during the AmeriCorps program term
- Your organization is part of a national or local nonprofit, school, government agency, faith-based or community organization.
- Prepared to pay the $10,000 placement fee for up to 5 AmeriCorps members.
- Able to designate 2 of your staff members to serve as site supervisors for your assigned SERVE HOUSTON AmeriCorps team.
Class #: 2
Class Dates: May 8, 2023 – August 10, 2023
Hours: Members must serve 32 hours per week, 450 hours total
Team Size: 3 – 5 AmeriCorps members
Ready to apply?
- Download a practice application.
- When you’re ready, apply online.
The original Serve Houston program was created by Martin Cominsky – CEO of Interfaith Ministries for Greater Houston.
Pilot program launched and completed.
SERVE HOUSTON becomes an AmeriCorps State Program that launches in September 2022.